Is That the Best You Could Do?
Some students are elated and expectant when they get their report cards. They know they have worked hard and that their hard work has paid off. They look forward to the celebration and gifts that were promised and bask in their accomplishments.
I wasn't that student.
I was the student who despite my hard work and effort, could not achieve beyond average grades. I was the student who was always struggling academically. I was the student who was the "dunce-est" among her siblings (who are brilliant). I was the student who did the walk of shame on report card day.
My first year in high school was perhaps my worst year academically. I was perpetually lost and eventually lost interest in school. Preferring, instead, to lose myself in a romantic novel. I was an avid reader, but could not comprehend much of what was being taught in this new school. That year, on report card day, I was ranked 37 out of 39 students. I remember the shame I felt when I received the response - "Is that the best you could do?"
I went for years believing that that was the best I could do. After high school, I went about seeking a job that would pay minimum wage because in my mind, that was the best I could do.
After a year of working at an entry level job in the public service, I was encouraged to apply to teacher's college. I remember thinking that it would be impossible to complete the program without failing a few courses. I worked really hard and was able to graduate with a credit and without failing any course.
Despite my accomplishments in college, I still doubted myself and my ability to excel academically. On my first day of university, I was convinced I had made a mistake. I was working a full time job, had two small children, and was completely overwhelmed.
At the end of my first semester, I received an award for outstanding achievement. I had the third highest GPA in the department!
By the time I completed my degree, I had become used to getting high grades and expected nothing less than an A in all my assignments. I graduated with first class honors and received the award for most outstanding student in my degree program.
I recently completed my second degree as a distinguished graduate, having received As in all my courses.
I think about my journey a lot these days. I don't know what the future holds, but I know I have not completed my academic journey yet.
You are not stuck where you start. Where you are today does not determine where you will be tomorrow. A failure today does not mean a failure tomorrow. It is simply a part of the journey. Failure should not produce shame, because it is through failure that we learn. It is through failure that we grow.
And to answer the question, yes! That's the best I could do!
Love this story. Reminded me of instances in my life when the people around me focused more on the negatives than on the positives. Glad to see your accomplishment and despite buried by the comments your true potential continue to bloom. Striving for the best don't always mean that you are the best. It means you are growing and improving and becoming the best version of yourself. Continue to be awesome and I look forward to your next blog post.
ReplyDeleteThank you. I am still evolving, as we all are.
DeleteJanice! This is a well written article that I can relate to in so many ways! I felt drawn into your journey from grade school through your most recent graduate school experiences. I appreciate your transparency. It helps to celebrate new successes knowing where we've been. May God bless you with continued adventure and celebration for accomplishments to come.
ReplyDeleteThank you. I could not have done it without Him and the many family members and friends who encouraged me along the way.
Delete